Psychology, Top Stories
comments 48

We Need Guidelines for Working with Men, but Not the APA Guidelines

Men are more likely than women to kill themselves, but less likely to seek therapy. Research suggests part of the problem is that our general model for psychological therapy is more suited to women than men. Therefore we urgently need to develop ways of doing therapy that are more suited to men. The APA recently released guidelines on therapy for men and boys, which were heavily criticised. The new guidance, critics argued, owes more to ideology than science.

However, one of the APA guidelines makes perfect sense. Guideline nine recommends that psychologists should strive to build and promote gender-sensitive psychological services. In a survey of responses to the APA advice published in Quillette, psychiatrist Sally Satel commented that: “’Gender-sensitive’ psychological practice … is questionable because it encourages clinicians to assume … that gender is a cause or a major determinant of the patient’s troubles.” In the context of the APA guidelines, I can see why she said this. But being gender-sensitive is not per se a bad thing, so let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

My colleagues and I at the Male Psychology Network have, over several years, conducted research into whether there are gender differences in the needs of men and women in therapy. This builds upon existing evidence that men and women deal with stress differently (e.g. Tamres et al, 2002). In our research, and in interviews with a variety of experienced psychological therapists (e.g. Holloway et al. 2018), we found that most of them described gender differences in various aspects of therapy. Overall, we can say that when men have psychological problems they seek a quick solution, whereas women want to talk about their feelings. Our survey of men and women in the general population, half of whom had been in therapy before, found a somewhat similar pattern of gendered preferences. For example, women liked psychotherapy (an emotion-focused treatment) more than men did, and men liked an information-sharing group (solution-focused) more than women did.

Despite the evidence that in general men and women may show clinically important differences in what they need from therapy, psychology tends not to measure gender differences in the outcomes of therapy. A rare study that did found that men and women made equal gains from counselling for work-related stress; at six-month follow-up, the women continued to improve, but the men had fallen back to baseline levels of dysfunction. This outcome highlights an alarming gender difference in outcome that should galvanise psychologists to take gender-sensitivity very seriously indeed.

Note that, in identifying sex differences, I am not suggesting that “All men prefer approach A, and all women prefer approach B.” Although there are general differences on average, there are of course individual differences to be taken into account. However, in the same way that therapists should be sensitive to cultural differences and different sexualities of their clients, therapy can be improved by being gender-sensitive.

For example, a gender-sensitive approach will correctly assume that—on average—a man who is distressed because he is a victim of domestic violence from his wife is more likely, compared to a female client, to feel that he will not be understood by others, and might even be blamed for the violence (for example, because of the influence of social norms on his behaviour, as per page 10 of the APA guidelines). Similarly, a gender-sensitive approach will inform the therapist that if her new client is talking about sport when he “should” be talking about his emotions, this is not a sign that he is not taking therapy seriously; men sometimes engage in banter at the outset of therapy, which is an opportunity for the therapist to engage in the important task of building rapport. Being sensitive to these clues about men in general will help the therapist to avoid misunderstanding their particular male client and help to move the therapy along in a more effective manner.

I hope you can see that adopting a gender-sensitive approach doesn’t mean adopting all of the APA guidelines—far from it. It could be that men who object to traditional masculinity might support the APA approach, but this doesn’t mean that the APA approach is good for men in general. The important take-home message is that many men with psychological problems are not seeking help, and it could be that a one-size-fits-all approach to gender is a barrier to them. Making our treatments more male-friendly might help, and several of the suggestions for this in the APA guidelines are good, but the ideology the APA have framed the guidelines within are not male-friendly.

The problems highlighted in the APA guidelines are not just an issue for the US. Similar ideas are being promoted in the U.K. at present (notably, pp 124-8 of the PTMF), and the future of psychology is bleak if this ideology is not recognised for what it is. The Male Psychology Network will soon be issuing our own guidelines on working with men based on our forthcoming handbook, and until the APA revise their guidelines, we hope that psychologists worldwide will find ours to be a useful alternative.

Dr John Barry is a Chartered Psychologist, clinical hypnotherapist, and co-founder of the Male Psychology Network and Male Psychology Section of the British Psychological Society. He is one of the editors of, and contributors to, The Palgrave Handbook of Male Psychology and Mental Health available April 2019.

1. Morgan Foster says

I’ve never consulted a psychologist or psychiatrist. I have, however, observed others doing so over the years and I’ve developed a distinct bias about this, based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence. Here it is:

I would never choose to consult with a female psychologist.

• DeplorableDude says

I have needed to consult a mental health professional but I know people that have. The one thing that seems to ring to true for all of them is that no matter how long they see a mental health professional, be it a psychiatrist, psychologist or LCSW, they never seem to get any better. I know a woman who has been under of mental health professionals almost continually for 15+ years. She is literally no better off now then she was then. She may actually be worse off.

• Psychology – especially on the clinical side – is a very difficult field/area. I do believe that most have the best interests of their clients at heart. And I truly doubt that many of them are raving, twitter-feminist lunatics….at least not if they want any male clients.

My point: I don’t think I’d choose a psychologist based upon their genitalia. Instead, I’d choose a psychologist just as I’d choose my doctor: based upon the “chemistry” I have with them. Each person is different (hence the aforementioned difficulty within the field).

• Dan Love says

@LanceSmith

I think you’re missing something. I, too, believe most psychologists have the best interests of their clients at heart. However, the perception of what those best interests are is acutely warped by ideological forces, a disturbing number of which oppose well-proven science.

Not choosing psychologists based on their genitalia is a noble ideal for an unrealistic world. Unfortunately, the reality is the extremism of this ideology and the unwillingness to question it correlates strongly with gender in psychology. Every psychologist knows this but it’s politically incorrect, nay formally publicly punishable, to talk about it.

• No, I’m not missing anything. I’m well aware of the extremism and the unwillingness to question ideology. I simply disagree – full stop – with the premise that the only way to address that is to pick people based upon their genitalia (and make not mistake, that will ALWAYS be my position). There are bad apples, there will always be bad apples. Focus on finding the good ones.

• Dan Love says

@LanceSmith

First, settle down. Nobody insulted your mother.

Secondly, you say in your second post you disagree that “the only way to address that is to pick people based upon their genitalia”. This is trivial. No one would ever disagree with this statement. No one would ever choose Ted Bundy over a licensed woman as a psychologist.

Your original post did not say “the only way to address that”, so you slightly switched your thesis. My point is that gender should be a criterion given the reality of the correlation of extremism of ideology with gender in the field of psychology. This does not imply gender should be the only criterion. That’s absurd.

• Dan Love says

@Morgan Foster

I wouldn’t see a female psychologist if one paid me. It’s bad enough therapists make better idealogues than therapists, but female therapists are indoctrinated to misunderstand men as badly as possible to suit an ideology they consider evil to even question.

In academia, psychology departments have become increasingly antirational, antiscientific, and ideological. This has correlated with an increase in female students.

• James says

In my expierence most psychologist have been a let down to me. Psychiatrists on the other hand tend to be more solution focused instead of wanting to talk about nonsense. My 15 minute psychiatrist appointments accomplish more than 90 minute counseling sessions. Ive had good experiences with both male and female psychiatrists btw. In fact my current one is an Indian American woman.

• @ James
        I have a friend who saw a psychologist in her thirties. She had always been happy as a stay at home wife and mother, her youngest child was about to start school and she was nervous about the change and concerned her husband was more interested in his career than in her.

The feminist psychologist,convinced her, she would need to return to university, and engage in a career or her husband and children would not respect her. She was so anxious that she would fail in this career, that she didn’t want, but had been persuaded she needed.

She ended up having a full nervous breakdown, became suicidal and needed a psychiatrist, and still sees one now, in her fifties.

• There are dangerous psychologists out there, especially in this case a feminist. It was more about the psychologist, transferring her own beliefs onto her client.

2. It’s unfortunate that – IMO anyway – most of the article was spent on an issue that seemed to miss the point of the original critique.

Granted, Sally wrote: ““Gender-sensitive” psychological practice, as the APA calls it, is questionable because it encourages clinicians to assume, before a patient even walks in the door, that gender is a cause or a major determinant of the patient’s troubles.”

But she also went on to say: “So when the APA encourages practitioners to engage in vaguely defined activities—“address issues of privilege and power related to sexism” or “help boys and men, and those who have contact with them become aware of how masculinity is defined in the context of their life circumstances”—it seems more focused on a political agenda than on the patient.”

So I don’t think she meant don’t recognize that men and women may react differently or have different expectations re:therepy. I think she meant don’t start with the premise that these differences are due to ideologically defined terms like “privilege and power” (whatever these terms mean in this context).

Furthermore, whatever the problems men may have with therapy, gender isn’t the “cause” (which implies that gender needs “fixed”). Instead, THERAPISTS need to adjust THEIR thinking to compensate for the sex differences noted by the author. In other words, men – even those noted by the author – aren’t broken simply because they don’t react to therapy the way women do so let’s not start with that premise.

Perhaps the author is suffering from the same delusion suffered by feminists: i.e. that gender is purely a product of nurture (when we know quite well that it is also a product of nature). Fundamentally, the problems with the APA guidelines are not that they recognize sex differences. It is that they BLAME these differences on nurture and suggest that men need fixed simply because they aren’t women. IF the APA would have instead stuck to the science and IF the APA would have focused on fixing therapists, it would have had greater success.

• watching and learning with interest says

Excellent comment. Thank you. In addition to the training and perspectives you mentioned, it might be helpful to have more male professors and clinicians. Psychology
      has become a female endeavour in most settings.

• Certainly – there is a lot of truth to that. I do think that there is likely a lot of toxicity in the field with regards to men and maleness simply because men aren’t well represented and often those who do go into the field have “drunk the koolaide” when it comes to current feminist thought – which doesn’t help. After all, when you think you have an all encompassing theory (as feminists think they have), it is hard to think outside of the box. As the old adage goes: when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• James says

Partly becauase Psychology is a shit major. Men who take it are probably more likely to plan on going to med school and becoming psychiatrists. A bachelor’s in psychology is practically worthless theyre so common. You have to get a master’s just to get a job that doesnt pay shit considering your school investment.

3. Craig WIllms says

I have sought this sort of help due to an addiction issue within my family, not for myself per se. I had both male and female professionals at different times and found both were helpful in different ways. Strangely enough the male counseling focused on actions and solutions, whereas the female counselors focused on feelings and coping mechanisms. Neither approach was wrong,

Oh yeah, we survived and thrived –

• To be fair, I think all of the “Palgrave Handbooks” are priced in that range. It looks more like an academic/practical reference than a popular text. You should see the prices of some of the books on my shelf! Since the market for such materials is very small, the costs/book are much higher. It is as it should be.

• D.B. Cooper says

@Dr. John Barry

Does @Bob Fancher’s post, and your response to it, qualify as ‘banter’? I’m thinking it does. I’m thinking this is a preamble to the task of building rapport.

But, on second thought, maybe forget I mentioned it, because the irony of this post has just occurred to me. And, right now, I’m thinking I may have snared myself in my own attempts at provocation; since it would seem that my response to your response to @Bob Fancher would also qualify as ‘banter’.

Actually, the more I think about it, this sudden onset of introspection has made me feel like we are building rapport. Never mind the book, when’s your first avaliable? Tuesdays are best for me.

4. Persecution and the Art of Science says

We don’t need guidelines for working with anybody. We are not children. What is this trash? Oh that’s right. More sponsored content.

5. ccscientist says

One of the types of self-therapy I applied for myself was outdoor activities: cross-country hiking without a trail, sleeping in the woods on the ground (no tent, winter), learning to find and cook wild plants, taking an orienteering class. Why? These things taught me to ignore little annoyances, to plan ahead, to solve problems, to be a little tough. It was very successful. My brother did a similar thing in Eagle Scouts. This is an example of therapy that is useful for men but not for women but is NEVER prescribed.

• Curiosity says

While I agree the outdoor activities are indeed a great therapy (basically best I have ever had), I strongly object to your comment that it is “not useful for women”.

As a woman raised in a deeply sexist society (far-eastern regions of Russia, we are having it increasingly worse as years pass), I was never let even near much outdoor activities as a kid or a teenager, despite longing for more contact with nature. I experienced plenty of bullying from peers, teachers and even relatives for a failure to conform to societal expectations regarding what a girl should be like, and was dragged around dozens of psychologists, each one making my life even more miserable.

Eventually I moved out and away, and while in college, reached out to a local outdoors activity group which organized camping, mountain climbing, cycling trips and much more, started participating. Now, THIS was a real help. It’s almost impossible to explain properly in detail, but in struggle against nature force, in looking after each other, persevering, achieving mountain peaks, in beauty of surrounding, – in the midst of all this things, all fakey stuff just disappeared. It becomes clystal clear what you really think and feel, what is real and important, and what is not even worth noticing, let alone worrying about.

I think if people – all people – were able to engage in outdoors activities more often, the world as a whole would need less psychotherapy than it does now. In the craziness of the information overload in a modern society, with all the perpetual hysteria in the news, it is all too easy to start stressing out on anything, especially if one was not taught resilience (and many people are not). The most calm, stable and strong-willed people I’ve met were always into some kind of outdoors activity, and although a subjective experience of one person is not enough for generalization, it’s clear this is not just a mere coincidence.

The difference in what exact activities may be present for both sexes in this case should rather be left to a personal preference for individuals, and in a while, statistical differences will emerge. Basically, any productive activity which is not associated with stereorypical feminizing of the whole industries would help – what many on the left are doing now is taking every negative stereotype about women and then telling everyone to aspire to this stereotype.

The APA guidelines are sorta annoying for a reason that they consider risk-taking, stoicism, self-reliance and striving for achievement to be apparently negative as “masculinities”, while to the best of my thinking, these are positive behaviors which every human is to strive for, regardless of gender. A strong character rocks every time, and to an extent, reduces the harm one may take away from some trauma.

Background: BSc Computer Science, bi, ASD+ADHD, keen math&nature lover, classical liberal.

6. Shatterface says

I’d find it impossible to take clinical advice from any therapist who used the word ‘gender’ to refer to my sex.

7. Grant says

I used to work as a counselor and agree with much of this article. Many men do want a quick fix, preferably without too much emotional exploration so neither CBT or EFT (emotionally focused therapy) are not terribly effective. I used to do what my supervisor called 4×2 Therapy – a bit metaphorical slapping around to break through their defensive wall (CBT), then EFT to connect to their pain and fears which were generally driving their unhelpful behaviour. I think most experienced therapists have a variety of tools in their box and the knowledge to know which one to use. The more research that can help therapists know how and when to use these tools the better.

8. C Young says

Dr.Barry, is it not experimentally proven many times over that “talking about your problems” actually exacerbates them? Stoic acceptance of their reality being a better approach. I’ve certainly seen experimental confirmation of this more than once.

If so, not only is psychotherapy female-orientated, it contains a false bias that happens to be favoured by females, towards a talking cure.

9. Caligula says

Unfortunately clinical psychology is one of those fields where, other than actual malpractice, there are few if any objective measures of a practionaer’s performance.

Licensure typically requires credentials (education), demonstrated knowledge (passing an exam) and, in many jurisdictions, some amount of supervised practice. Yet it’s less than obvious that these licensure requirements can or do screen out those who are ineffective (or worse) in practcing clinical psychology, and especially so in the practice of psychotherapy.

Of course, entry into many professions is regulated by criteria that may or may not relate to actual performance. Nonetheless, many of these provide real-world feedback that will (at least eventually) cull many from the profession. For example, surgeons who have too many adverse outcomes will lose hospital privileges and face civil actions; engineers who design structures that fail, or chips that don’t work, will lose their jobs; lawyers who perform poorly for their clients or employers (they offer bad advice, or lose to many trials or fail to obtain good settlements, etc.) can expect to have difficulty making a living by practicing law.

Of course, one might say the same of many other professions, yet many of these do contain some actual feedback related to actual work products. Thus, surgeons who have too many adverse outcomes will (eventually, at least) have their careers ended, engineers who design bridges that fail or chips that don’t work will become unemployed, lawyers who perform poorly for their clients or employers can expect difficulty finding new clients or employers (etc.).

And so it goes. Except when it comes to clinical psychology, there seem to be few if any methods to measure the effectiveness of psychotherapists and, even though there may be vast differences in effectiveness between practitioners, objective measurements of practitioners’ effectiveness are not available to potential clients.

Thus, “caveat emptor” seems prudent for anyone seeking therapy from a psychologist, as it’s entirely possible that many have little if anything to offer, and at least some, even if not meeting legal standards for malpractice, may do more harm than good.

Which is not necessarily an argument against seeking psychological help should you perceive a need for it, or believe you may benefit from it. BUT perhaps the profession could do more to develop and use objective measures of performance or, if this is not possible at the present state of the art, then at least make it clear to the public that it’s not yet possible to say whether any individual practitioner, or the profession as a whole, actually does more harm than good.

And, yes, we do understand that the role of organizations such as the APA inevitably devolves to promotion and protection (of the profession and of its members), yet the public reasonably expects that professions (and professionals) will do more than merely protect and promote themselves.

10. Circuses and Bread 🇺🇸 says

I disagree with the premise of this article: that men would benefit from intervention from the psychology profession. Like most of the soft sciences, psychology seems to borrow heavily from pseudo-scientific politibabble. Men have survived for many millennia without the “benefit” of professional psychology.

Let’s focus on the end objective for a moment. What do we want to accomplish? If it’s less suicide and less self destructive behavior, then let’s attack those issues. What are the root causes? I suspect that an honest evaluation of the problems that men face boil down to being systematically hated and discriminated against. So being hated, having no purpose, and being actively discriminated against can result in some antisocial and self destructive behaviors? Wow! Whoda thunk it?!!

The solutions in my view aren’t all that complicated. Men and boys thrive with loving discipline, boundaries, and having stuff to build. They also need a small amount of appreciation every now and then. You’ll note that they get none of this in contemporary western society. Zip. Nada. This is but one reason why Islam has a very bright future in the west.

11. Bob t says

Women like to talk about their feeling whereas men want to focus on solutions. Well I’m gobsmacked. This doesn’t sound like men and women at all. It’s wierd how the basic stuff about men and women that every person knows intuitively is treated as just being discovered by psychologist who are shocked by these finding about the differences between men and women. I swear these people must reinvent the wheel every week.

12. Mr Barry opens his writing with the words, “Men are more likely than women to kill themselves, but less likely to seek therapy.”

Interesting. This statement is a very popular meme that I’ve been reading for well over a decade now and it’s presented in a way to imply that men and their masculinity is the pathology. Sort of like men’s suicide is men’s own stupid fault because they don’t seek help. Well, looking at statistics of suicide and more importantly attempted suicide, we find a different story that nobody seems to ever address in the context of the above overused meme.

The following data are taken from the website of a US organisation called SAVE. I have no knowledge about their credentials or the veracity of the data, but the numbers ring true to what I’ve seen/heard over time.

SAVE – Gender Disparities

* Suicide among males is 4x’s higher than among females. Male deaths represent 79% of all US suicides. (CDC)

* Females attempt suicide 3x’s as often as males. (CDC)

The data are simplistic and the two categories are not directly comparable. That is, completed suicides versus attempted suicides are not related mathematically – they’re two separate data sets.

Now, here’s the crux of the matter – Females attempting suicide is significantly higher than males. Questions – Is this because females are less likely to seek help? Is this because females have an aversion or a femininity pathology to internalise problems and not seek help? How does anyone know if they did or didn’t seek help?

Females attempting suicide are, apparently, not very good at getting the job done, thank goodness. But it would appear that there is a greater problem with females than there is with males. Men, it would seem, are just better at carrying out their intentions.

And then, how does anyone know if these sad statistics, male and female, did or did not seek psychological help? Maybe they did but the help didn’t work. Are there any statistics about this?
    How many male suicides had previous therapy? How many females attempting suicide had previous therapy? Is it only men who do not seek help? Do females attempting suicide seek help?
    It seems there’s more to the puzzle than just to point the finger at men.

It seems that there’s a pathology in western society that is affecting females more than males. Whatever, there’s a serious problem here and no one seems to want to open the can of worms. Ranting memes about men isn’t getting to the seat of the problem – for men or women. If anything, it’s just covering it up.

• Alan Dove says

You are not alone in thinking this at all and have reached very similar conclusions as I, you’re not alone in investigating this statistic.

The devastating thing here really is that an attempted suicide is representative of severe mental breakdown or trauma. There is obviously a plethora of reasons that the higher rates of attempted female suicide doesn’t catch people’s attention (it’s an uncomfortable statistic for those who use male suicide as a tool to represented a particular viewpoint) and it’s a crime that it’s ignored.

• El Uro says

@Max Wilson The cynical but honest answer is that women’s suicide attempts are a way to attract attention, men solve their problems by killing themselves

• Asenath Waite says

@Max Wilson

Few people that truly attempt suicide are unsuccessful. The majority of what are classified as “attempted suicides” are not serious attempts by the people to kill themselves, but instead attempts to demonstrate to others that they are in pain. So I would say that men actually want to die much more frequently than women actually want to die, whereas women want to signal their pain to the world more often than men. If one seriously wants to end one’s life, it’s not a difficult thing to accomplish.

13. Jordan Peterson spoke about the APA guidelines last night here in Melbourne. (This was at the meet and greet after the main show.)

He mentioned that people suffer because of a million different reasons, each of which is unique to the individual, and hence that any course of action must be for that specific individual.

Perhaps the worst of the APA guidelines — and there’s a lot to critique — is that the guidelines point to one diagnosis for every problem: Traditional masculinity.

Then traditional masculinity is defined in a ridiculous manner, including boys and men achieving, taking risks, and seeking adventure.

There are some good points in the APA guidelines as Christina Hoff-Sommers pointed out. However, under the current climate, I’m against any guidelines for treatment of boys and men.

Such guidelines will be hijacked by ideologues, as the APA proved.

14. Asenath Waite says

The APA guidelines really seem to be underhandedly about trying to change men into what intersectional feminists believe they should be (i.e. submissive “allies”) rather than being about trying to help them be happier. I think some guidelines that are actually aimed at helping psychologists to better help men would not necessarily be a bad thing, as this article does a good job of expressing.

15. @Asenath Waite

That’s so sick. It’s criminal narcissism. The fact they hijacked a field, a science no less, meant to help people is Orwellian incarnate. It makes me question the love I have for my country.

We hear about the worst of men every fifteen seconds, but this is the sick manipulative darkness of women. An example of the worst of toxic femininity at a national scale.

I wish my sympathy for men could offset the hearts of darkness and seething hatred of feminist sociopaths.

• Asenath Waite says

@Sara

It’s a pretty bizarre and unfortunate situation. I’m hopeful that ultimately society will not stand for it. It seems like there is beginning to be significant pushback to this backwards ideology, so that’s a good sign.

16. Jezza says

@ circuses and bread
    You nailed it, mate. It is the institutionalized hatred of men which causes most of our problems. What started out in the sixties as a legitimate movement to redress discrimination against women has morphed into a dismissive and destructive habit of faux concern for our well-being at one end of the spectrum and deliberate targeted hate at the other. In sixty years I have difficulty recalling ANY woman standing up against her sisters when they attacked men as a sex overtly, as in calling for our destruction, or covertly, as when demeaning jokes are made about our general incompetence. I also agree that it is possible that Islam will be seen as a way to make the pendulum swing back the other way. Feminists should be careful what they wish for.

• Morgan Foster says

@Jezza

“I also agree that it is possible that Islam will be seen as a way to make the pendulum swing back the other way. Feminists should be careful what they wish for.”

Thoughtful people are aware of how fragile civilization – Western or Eastern – truly is in the world.

How much more fragile, then, is feminism. Even the very idea of equality for women.

Nothing is forever.

17. david of Kirkland says

It’s bad to suggest that males and females are different in any meaningful way (don’t you know?).
    Unless it’s medical studies when some will grumble that they don’t test enough against women and minorities, because you know race is also something that doesn’t exist or matter we’re told, but then needs to be accounted for when studying medical issues.

18. I have a problem with doctors who know what the patient suffers from before they consult with the patient.

Men suffer from a different set of psychological problems (in frequency) than women, and are significantly more anti-social in behavior (whether you use the “medical-therapeutic” lens or the traditionally “criminal deviant-moral” lens).

Someone who is seriously interested in treating someone who had behavior problems, for example, exhibited evidence of dementia, would in the first instance look at how the patient is biologically different from the rest of the population.

Likewise, anyone who concerned themselves with addressing differences in problematic behaviors of males relative to females would commit themselves to understanding the biological differences between males and females.

If you don’t acknowledge dementia has a biological cause, your treatment is probably going to be something along the lines of demonology. Someone has a toxic demon of confusion, and must be exercised, or perhaps some chickens must be offered to the gods to alleviate the malady.

However, I don’t want to accuse the APA of acting like witch doctors. Witch doctors often have a lot of empathy and intuition with respect to their patients, and can sometimes get good results even on bogus assumptions thanks to placebo. No, the APA is acting like an ideologically driven body with an anti-empirical agenda pushing harmful treatments with no empirical basis on helpless men, who may need and deserve help, not some b.s. progressive gender “theory”.

If straight jackets and lobotomies are out, it looks like straight jackets of the mind and lobotomies of the spirit will have to serve in their stead.

19. Quilty says

As a young man, I found out that anyone could book an appointment with Dr. Albert Ellis … ranked as second most influential psychotherapist in history. I was struggling in a relationship. My girlfriend wanted absolute monogamy. But she also wanted a very limited sexual relationship. Ellis listened for a few minutes then said … the second most influential psychotherapist in history said, “I think that you should f*** other women and lie to her.”

• Screw The Ruling Class says

Quilty: Well, that sounds like something Ellis might have said. So, having consulted “the second most influential psychotherapist in history”, what did you do with his advice? He did propose a rational solution to your problem, after all.

• Quilty says

I broke up with the girlfriend in question. An even BETTER thing he said, as I started going into details about the relationship, he said, in his nasally, cranky way, “Huh, she’s sounds a little nutty. Now I’m not saying she’s committable. I wouldn’t know. But she sounds crazy.” He was awesome. A bonus story: His mantra was always “It’s not the end the world.” Whatever troubles you were discussing, he’d remind you, “It’s not the end of the world.” After 9/11, I booked a session. I had been at Ground Zero during the catastrophe and was pretty traumatized. At the end of our session, he said, “History is full of terrible things. This was one of them. But it’s not the end of the world …” Then he smirked VERY subtly and added “…YET.”

20. Annie Ok says

Today’s psychologists are themselves afflicted with leftist ideology and stereotypes. They cannot let men be men. I know men who have altered their behavior by talking to other men, but those other men did not degrade them for being men. Personally, I PREFER men who are stoical, who don’t want to pour their hearts out like small whiney children. I don’t want to be with a man who is a wilting violet. Its the shrinks who are incompetent, but then, I knew psych majors and graduate students in college…all obsessed with themselves…how could they possibly understand anyone different from themselves?